Though I often feel the same way, as soon as someone says to me, “Sami, SD is boring,” I want to reply, “You’re boring. There’s tons of things to do here.” I think, as a tourist town, we want to protect our city from the ignorant criticism of visitors.
Still, maybe it’s just the softly trickling rain keeping me apartment-bound, but I am bored. Actually I’ve been carrying around a boredom monkey for awhile now. There’s sort of an ennui in happiness and stability, and this is not the best town in which to forage for chaos. In this heaven, we’re a bit oblivious to evil and all the fun it brings.
I guess that’s part of why I got so wasted at Flick’s last night that the “kicky boots” and “bear arm” came out. Did I make out with Xanadu again? I didn’t wake up with her lipstick smeared on my face, so I’m guessing not.
This is a beach town, not a gritty cosmopolitan city with heated philosophical discussions in coffee shops. People flock here to relax, and the rest of us have to fight for our right to party. I am so lame. Sorry. The closest I’ve had to a political conversation with someone in the past 2 months was a fight I picked with a constitutionalist about minority rights.
I’m a bleeding-heart liberal (except when Ron Swanson talks about pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food and I want to be him) in a conservative, military town. The young hippies here drive me just as nuts with their pseudo-spiritualities and adherence to the astrological calendar. I don’t have time to care when the moon is in capricorn and uranus is over my hammy.
Here’s what San Diegans think we do when we’re bored:
- Go to Julian
- Suntan regardless of season
- Tourist it up at Seaworld, Balboa Park, etc.
- Other outdoorsy stuff that sounds impressive on a dating profile.
This is what we actually do. Well, I do:
- Drink alcohol. Beer is amazing here. Liquor is abundant and varied. Check out KnBs in Del Cerro.
- Browse OkCupid. Mostly I use it to get new friends and you should too.
- Paint my nails.
- Thrift Shopping. If the sun is out and I have the day off, this is pretty much the only thing that will get me out in public. Because…
- Backyard / front-yard day drinking with my parents. They have 3 parrots and we have screaming contests.
- Arts and crafts. San Diego is one of the top 3 creative cities according to this bloke I discovered today named Richard Florida. I can always find a friend to do a photoshoot or collaborative paint, or make tutus.
- Find a band practice. I don’t play music, but I like to doodle while other people abuse guitars for 3 hours.
- Okayyyyyy I do enjoy nature crap. Sometimes. A night hike on Cowles will draw out good conversation with a friend.
- Video games with friends.
Do you agree that SD is boring and what do you do to stay entertained? Comment below. You don’t need an account or anything; it’s easy to leave a comment.
Sorry about the short post! My friend made me start over from scratch because my first draft was yet another lesbian rant…